Friday, April 24, 2009

Symphonies in Springtime

Last night I had the opportunity to attend a wonderful Symphony Orchestra concert. It was one of the most wonderful happenings of this week, in fact--and granted, it has been quite an adventurous week! The concert theme was "Great Firsts in a Genre", so selections were made based on a composer's 'big break' into the composing arts. This included work from von Weber, Wagner, and Bernstein among others. There were overtures from operas and musicals, and even the Montagues vs Capulets theme from the ballet Romeo and Juliet.

I've always had a secret desire to play in a symphony. Yes, I've played in a concert band, but I don't think it's quite the same. A symphony has a greater variety of instruments--strings, odd woodwinds, various brass, etc.

I came a little early to the event, so I could hear the various ensembles warming up and tuning. The great discord left my chest throbbing. In that moment, in a great sweep of sound, of plucking strings and singing valves, I felt myself tear up. I missed playing with a group so very, very much. I've decided to pick up my trumpet again seriously this coming summer. Not to mention, with a place all my own, I'll be able to play without bothering anyone in near proximity. I may consider joining a musical group once in my time here at school, since I miss it so sincerely. My only gripe is the issue of time. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day to squeeze in all that I'd like to squeeze in. I'd love to do so many things on campus, but one can only take so many credits, run so many miles, and sing so many lines in a day!

I'm going to go look for some sheet music. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment